2. Blog
  4. A Study Permit Approval for an Aged Applicant


Real stories from real people


A Study Permit Approval for an Aged Applicant

Mr. H, a 58-year-old married Hong Kong national approached TWA in late 2022 and sought our firm’s assistance on his study permit application. He successfully received a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (“DLI”) to study at a college in Canada. His spouse and son are both living in Canada at that time holding a spousal open work permit and a study permit.

Mr. H had been a business owner in Hong Kong for several years, but his companies were seriously and negatively affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic. The companies had to be closed due to the amount of business dropping tremendously. While Mr. H took a break in Canada, thanks to an employment offer from a local employer, he applied for and received a work permit.

Unfortunately, his job was terminated because of the employer’s own consideration. While considering other opportunities in preparation for his career development back in Hong Kong, he would like to take advantage of his current temporary stay in Canada to obtain some vocational training.

Generally speaking, it is not very common that people at retirement age to continue to pursue further studies, especially from overseas. In that case, we carefully drafted our submission letter as the Applicant was a mature student who already completed an advanced degree aboard. 

As his representative, we firmly advocate for the client and seek his solid merits. Even though his family are all located in Canada temporarily, we assisted Mr. H in preparing a detailed study and business plans to explain his decision to study in Canada, and how the proposed program of study would assist in achieving long-term career goals. It was imperative for him to upgrade his skillsets to overcome his career barriers and obstacles.

Within a few weeks of preparation and communication with the client, our counsel filed the study permit application and shortly after his study permit application was approved. It is not only beneficial to himself but also to the whole family. Thanks to Mr. H’s study permit approval, his minor child can continue studying in Canada and attend secondary school without a study permit as per section 30(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, which says every minor child in Canada, other than a child of a temporary resident not authorized to work or study, is authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level.

Related posts