3. Work & Study
  4. Study Permit
  5. About Study Permit

Work & Study

Discover the Opportunities to Visit, Work or Study in Canada

Study Permit

About Study Permit

A Study Permit is an official document issued by the Canadian government that allows foreign nationals to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in Canada. It is required by most foreign nationals to be able to study in Canada. A Study Permit authorizes a foreign national to study in Canada for a specific program and a specific duration of time. 

Your study permit is not equivalent to a visa, and it alone does not authorize your entry into Canada. Depending on your citizenship and the duration of your stay, you may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If your study permit is approved, IRCC will issue a study permit along with any necessary visa or eTA documentation for your entry into Canada. 


Study Permit: Eligibility Requirements

You can study in Canada if you:

  • Are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI);
  • Prove you have enough money to pay for the:
    • tuition fees,
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada;
  • Obey the law, have no criminal record, and get a police certificate (if required);
  • Are in good health and get a medical exam (if required); and
  • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires.


Study Permit: Other Conditions

A study permit does not grant the holder the right to work in Canada unless they have obtained a work permit or their study program includes a work component. 

There could be certain conditions on your study permit based on your circumstances, including:

  • Whether or not you are authorized to work in Canada.
  • Whether or not you are allowed to travel within Canada.
  • The specific date by which you must depart Canada.
  • The designated learning institution (DLI) you are permitted to study at.
  • You must update your designated learning institution (DLI) in your IRCC secure account before you can study at a different DLI.
  • Whether or not you require an immigration medical examination. 


Co-op/Internship Work Permit

For example, some study programs consist of practical work experience as a component of their curriculum, you may be eligible to apply for a co-op or intern work permit provided that you fulfill the following conditions:

  • You hold a valid study permit.
  • Working is a mandatory component of your study program in Canada.
  • Your educational institution has provided you with a letter confirming that work placements are necessary for all students enrolled in your program to obtain the degree.
  • The total duration of your co-op placement or internship is equal to or less than 50% of the duration of your entire study program.

You can apply for a co-op work permit along with your study permit if the acceptance letter from the DLI confirms that a co-op or internship placement is a mandatory part of your program’s curriculum. When you apply for a study permit, IRCC will process your co-op work permit as well. 


Proof of Financial Support

It is necessary to demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourself and any accompanying family members while in Canada. The following documents can be submitted as proof of funds:

  • Evidence of a Canadian bank account under your name if you have transferred money to Canada.
  • A Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution.
  • Proof of a student or education loan from a bank.
  • Bank statements for the previous 4 months.
  • A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars.
  • Proof of payment for tuition and housing fees.
  • A letter from the individual or institution providing financial support to you.
  • Proof of funding received from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program.


Minimum Funds

The below table shows the minimum amount of funds required to support yourself as a student (and any accompanying family members). 

Outside Quebec
Persons coming to Canada Amount of funds required per year (not including tuition) Amount of funds required per month (not including tuition)
You (the student) CAD$10,000 CAD$833
First family member CAD$4,000 CAD$333
Every additional accompanying family member CAD$3,000 CAD$255


In Quebec
Persons coming to Canada Amount of funds required per year (not including tuition) Amount of funds required per month (not including tuition)
1 person under the age of 18 CAD$6,569 CAD$547
1 person aged 18 or over CAD$13,134 CAD$1,095
2 people aged 18 or over CAD$19,264 CAD$1,605
2 people aged 18 or over and 1 person under the age of 18 CAD$21,579 CAD$1,798
2 people aged 18 or over and 2 people under the age of 18 CAD$23,290 CAD$1,941


Quebec Acceptance Certificate

In case you plan to study in Quebec for more than 6 months, it is essential to obtain an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, CAQ) from the Government of Quebec. Your school can guide you through the process of applying for the CAQ and provide relevant details.

Be sure to gather information about the application process and the required documents for studying in Quebec.

However, if your study duration in Quebec is less than 6 months, you can apply for a study permit without a CAQ. 


Letter of Explanation / Study Plan

This letter or study plan can help the visa officer understand you and your goals. Below are some of the suggested directions for you to write your study plan. 

  1. Why do you wish to study in Canada in the program for which you have been accepted?
  2. What is your overall educational goal?
  3. How will this program enhance your employment opportunities in your country of residence or of citizenship?


Study Permit: How to Apply?

Generally, individuals are required to apply for a study permit prior to their arrival in Canada. However, some individuals may be eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada. Alternatively, in some situations, it may be possible to apply for a study permit upon arrival in Canada at the port of entry. It is important to determine which option is applicable to your circumstances. 


Apply Inside Canada

If you meet any of the following criteria and are currently in Canada:

  • You are a Ukrainian national or a family member of a Ukrainian national.
  • You possess a valid study or work permit.
  • Your spouse, common-law partner, or parent possesses a valid study or work permit.
  • You are a minor child enrolled in primary or secondary school.
  • You are an exchange or visiting student.
  • You completed a short-term course or study program required for acceptance to a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  • You, your spouse, common-law partner, or dependent child hold a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) that is valid for at least 6 months.
  • You are being sponsored for immigration and have already applied for permanent residence (if eligible).
  • You, your spouse, common-law partner, or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order.
  • You are the spouse, common-law partner, or dependent child of an athlete on a Canadian-based team, a member of the media, a member of the clergy, military personnel on duty in Canada, or an accredited foreign representative.
  • You are a refugee claimant in Canada or a family member of a refugee claimant in Canada.

Then, you are eligible to apply for a study permit inside Canada. 


Apply At A Port of Entry

If you meet any of the following criteria, you are eligible to apply for a study permit at a port of entry. 

  • Ukrainian national or family member of a Ukrainian national
  • Citizen of the United States
  • Permanent resident of the United States
  • Person who has lawfully been admitted to the United States for permanent residence
  • Resident of Greenland
  • Resident of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon


How Long Can You Stay in Canada with a Study Permit?

A study permit is usually valid for the duration of your study program and an additional 90 days. The 90 days allow you to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

The duration of your stay in Canada after completing your studies is determined by factors such as:

  • Whether you are taking prerequisite courses.
  • Whether your study permit expires before finishing your studies.
  • Whether you will finish your studies before your study permit expires. 


People Who Don’t Need a Permit to Study in Canada

  • Short-term students (6 months or less).
  • Family or staff of foreign representatives.
  • Members of foreign armed forces.
  • Registered Indians in Canada, even if you’re a citizen of another country.
  • Minor children in Canada, if:
    • They are refugees or refugee claimants, or
    • Their parents are refugees or refugee claimants, or
    • They are in pre-school, primary, or secondary school, and already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit. 
  • Temporary residents and asylum seekers taking French language and culture courses.
  • Temporary residents taking settlement and integration courses.


Study Permit: FAQs

Can you go back to your home country while studying?

Yes. If you leave Canada during your studies, you may need to show proof that you’re enrolled in your school when you return to Canada. If you have a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), it must be valid when you return to Canada.


Why get a study permit if you don’t need one?

There are 2 reasons you may want to get a study permit even if you don’t need one:

  1. You may be able to continue studying (as long as you meet the requirements); or
  2. You may be able to work on-campus or off-campus.


How do I know whether the school is DLI or not?

To apply for a study permit, you need a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a designated learning institution (DLI). A DLI is a school approved by the provincial or territorial government to host international students. However, not all DLIs would grant you the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.


Apply for a Study Permit with TWA

We have assisted a great number of international students in getting a study permit and even a work permit. In Vancouver, some of the well-known institutions are Alexander College, Create Career College, Simon Fraser University (SFU), University of British Columbia (UBC), and many more.

You will find a full list of designated learning institutions by province/territory here.


Successful Study Permit / Co-op Work Permit Cases