3. Sponsorship Applications
  4. Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Sponsorship Applications

Bringing your Loved Ones Together through Family Sponsorship

Sponsorship Applications

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) is an immigration program that allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents to get permanent residence in Canada.

If you only want to apply for a permit that allows parents or grandparents to enter Canada for a long period of time and multiply, you can consult TWA for applying for a Super Visa.


Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP)

The Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) aims to help families reunite in Canada. Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor their parents or grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada. Sponsored parents and grandparents can enjoy the benefits like universal healthcare and education in Canada. 


About the Process

The program is announced by the Canadian government once a year and has a limited number of spots available. It is usually oversubscribed, meaning that there are more people applying than the spots available. The processing time of this family sponsorship program is about 25 months. You can see how competitive and difficult to get a spot. 

If you receive the invitation to apply, you will have to submit 2 applications for the PGP:

  • The sponsorship application, and 
  • The permanent residence application

If both applications are approved, you will need to sign an undertaking agreement. This agreement begins on the day the sponsored person (and any accompanying family member) become permanent residents of Canada.

You are suggested to consult immigration professionals for this program so as to increase the chance to bring your parents or grandparents to join you in a supportive living environment.


Parents and Grandparents Program Requirements

To be eligible for Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program, an individual must:

  • Received the invitation to apply
  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Be residing in Canada
  • Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program to sponsor the people
    • You have to provide proof of income to IRCC
    • You can have your spouse or common-law partner co-sign and combine your incomes

You must also submit an undertaking to the IRCC, details see below.


Sign an Undertaking

Apart from the above requirements, the sponsor must sign an undertaking to promise they will financially support the people they are sponsoring for a period of time. 


Live Outside of Quebec

This undertaking involves committing to financially support your sponsored family members for a period of 20 years starting from when they become permanent residents. If your sponsored family members receive any provincial social assistance during the 20-year period, you will be responsible for repaying it. 

Moreover, you and your sponsored family members must agree to certain responsibilities during this period, which is called the sponsorship agreement. This agreement involves providing your sponsored family members with basic needs:

  • Food
  • Clothing
  • Utilities
  • Shelter
  • Personal requirements
  • Household supplies
  • Fuel
  • Health care not covered by public insurance

The person you sponsor is also required to make every effort to support themselves and their family members. 

Furthermore, this agreement is still valid even if there are changes in circumstances, such as:

  • Marriage ending, separation or divorce
  • Unemployment
  • Financial changes
  • Family rifts
  • If you are sponsoring a family member whose main applicant passes away, you will still be responsible for covering the basic needs of their family members.

When you apply to become a sponsor, you will need to complete and sign a form that includes both the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement. 


Live In Quebec

This undertaking involves committing to financially support your sponsored family members for a period of 10 years starting from when they become permanent residents. If the person you are sponsoring is accompanied by their minor child, the length of your undertaking toward the child will depend on the child’s age:

  • For children under the age of 16, the undertaking period will vary between a minimum of 10 years and up to the age of 18. The longer of the two periods will be chosen. 
  • For children aged 16 or above, the minimum period of the undertaking is 3 years, or up to the age of 25. Again, the longer of the two periods will be chosen.

If your sponsored family members receive any government assistance during the 10-year period, you will be responsible for repaying it. The form of assistance can be:

  • Last resort financial assistance (social assistance)
  • Special benefits, such as glasses, dental treatment, hearing devices
  • Shelter, for example, in a long-term and residential care centre (CHSLD)

You must provide basic needs to the person you sponsor, as well as their accompanying family members. This obligation includes settlement and establishment costs in Quebec, such as:

  • Housing
  • Furniture
  • Travel
  • Food
  • Clothing 

Moreover, you are responsible for health-related costs that are not covered or reimbursed by a public insurance plan, including:

  • Health care and services
  • Prescription drugs

You must bear the costs associated with employment integration, such as job preparation, job search, and employment integration approaches that are not covered by a government program for the persons you sponsor. 

As a sponsor, it is your responsibility to provide the required support to the person you are sponsoring and their family members during their integration process. This includes offering assistance and support to help them:

  • Search for employment
  • Enroll their children in school
  • Access public services
  • Register for francization courses
  • Look for a job or pursue the recognition of their studies outside of Quebec
  • Participate in community life in Quebec

The obligation remains in place even if:

  • Your financial situation worsens
  • You experience a separation or divorce
  • The person you are sponsoring obtains Canadian citizenship
  • Either you or the sponsored individual relocate(s) to a different province

This obligation applies even if the person you are sponsoring has not yet arrived in Canada. 


Eligible Person to be Sponsored

You are eligible to sponsor your biological or adopted parents and grandparents. If you are sponsoring divorced parents or grandparents, you need to submit separate applications. If your divorced parents or grandparents have a current spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, they can immigrate to Canada with your parents and grandparents as dependents if approved.

You can include your siblings, half-siblings, or step-siblings in the application, but only if they qualify as dependent children. 

It is a must to meet the income requirements for all the people you wish to sponsor, including their dependents such as their spouse, partner, and children. Moreover, the people you sponsor must meet the eligibility criteria, which require them to provide all necessary forms and documents along with their application. They may also need to provide additional information such as medical exams, police certificates, and biometrics as requested during the processing. 


Required Income for 3 Preceding Tax Years Before Application (2022 applicants)

Total number of people you’ll be responsible for  2021 2020 2019
2 people $32,898 $32,270 $41,007
3 people $40,444 $39,672 $50,414
4 people $49,106 $48,167 $61,209
5 people $55,694 $54,630 $78,296
6 people $62,814 $61,613 $78,296
7 people $69,934 $68,598 $87,172
If more than 7 people, for each additional person, add: $7,120 $6,985 $8,876