On May 31, 2023, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced the implementation of category-based selection for Canada’s Express Entry System. The new selection process aims to address labour shortages and strengthen French communities. The Minister of IRCC, Sean Fraser, revealed that invitations to apply for permanent residency would be issued to individuals with specific skills, training, or language abilities.
The initial focus of category-based selection will be on candidates with:
- Strong French language proficiency
- Work experience in priority fields such as:
- Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions
- Trades, such as carpenters, plumbers and contractors
- Agriculture and agri-food
This approach allows Canada to welcome skilled workers in high-demand professions and emphasizes the importance of Francophone immigration.
A detailed explanation can be found on the Express Entry page.