The Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program is an immigration program designed for individuals who are self-employed in cultural, artistic, or athletic activities, etc. It allows qualified applicants to obtain permanent residency in Canada.
Quebec welcomes self-employed foreign nationals interested in coming to Quebec to work as independent tradespersons or professionals.
Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program Requirements
In order to apply to the Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program, applicants must fulfill the following requirements.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Settle and work in Quebec.
- Have a minimum net worth of at least CAD$100,000. This can be shared with your spouse or common-law partner who is accompanying you to Quebec.
- Have at least 2 years of professional experience in the field you intend to practise in Quebec.
- Make a start-up deposit.
- You are required to make a start-up deposit with a financial institution situated in the region where you intend to carry out your profession or trade.
- The start-up deposit will be:
- CAD$25,000 if you plan to work outside the Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal (CMM); or
- CAD$50,000 if you intend to operate within the CMM territory.
- Obtain 63 points out of 107 points on the program’s selection grid. Or obtain 70 out of 120 points if you include your spouse who is accompanying you in the application.
- Obtain the legal right to practise if you are self-employed in a regulated profession.
- Obtain an attestation of learning about democratic values and Quebec values.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements for the program, the Government of Quebec says the self-employed worker must accept the following conditions:
- Choose the means of work performance;
- Organize the work;
- Provide the required tools and equipment;
- Carry out most of the specialized duties; and
- Collect the profits and support the loss risks resulting from the work.
During the review of an application, Quebec Self-employed candidates may be invited to attend a selection interview.