2. NEWS
  3. Co-op work permit for students inside and outside Canada


Stay up-to-date on immigration news for the latest developments

Co-op work permit for students inside and outside Canada

Students were allowed to work in the spring and summer semesters 2020, even if COVID-19 had forced them to become part-time students or to take a break in their studies.

As of September 1, 2020, students must be full-time, enrolled at a DLI and meet all on-campus and off-campus work eligibility requirements in order to work in Canada.

Co-op work permit

Outside Canada

Students who are outside of Canada can work while their study permit and co-op work permit are being processed. If their school and employer agree, they can either

  • accept a Canadian work placement and begin working remotely from their home country
  • work for a company in their home country

Inside Canada

Students who are already in Canada, and have applied for a co-op work permit, may begin their co-op placement using their on-campus and off-campus work authorization, provided they meet all the eligibility requirements.

Students may work full-time on the campus of the university or college at which they are full-time students per [R186(f)]. For off-campus work authorization per [R186(v)], students can work a total of 20 hours per week during an academic term/semester, including both the hours for co-op and the hours for their regular paid job (if they have one). They can work full-time during scheduled breaks in the school year.

However, if the co-op application is refused, they must stop working immediately.

Latest posts